The Phi Phi Islands are an island group in Thailand, between the large island of Phuket and the Straits of Malacca coast of Thailand. The islands are administratively part of Krabi Province.
20 pictures of Phi Phi Islands from Oliver Sjöström, Jonny Clow, Evan Krause and other travelers
Why travel there?
The Phi Phi Islands are a breathtaking archipelago located in the Andaman Sea, Thailand. Known for their stunning turquoise waters, dramatic limestone cliffs, lush jungles, and vibrant marine life, these islands are a must-visit destination for travelers seeking an idyllic tropical paradise. Whether you're a beach lover, adventure enthusiast, or just looking for some relaxation, the Phi Phi Islands have something to offer everyone.
How to get there?
The most common way to reach the Phi Phi Islands is by taking a ferry or speedboat from Phuket or Krabi. The journey takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the type of boat and weather conditions. Tickets can be purchased at the pier, through your hotel or guesthouse, or online via various booking platforms.
What to book in advance?
It's recommended to book your accommodation and any tours or activities in advance, especially during the high season (November to April). Popular activities include snorkeling and diving trips, island hopping excursions, and longtail boat rentals for exploring secluded beaches. Booking these experiences in advance ensures availability and often saves you money.
What are the costs?
The cost of visiting Phi Phi Islands can vary depending on your travel style and preferences. Budget travelers can expect to spend around $30 to $50 per day, while mid-range to luxury travelers may spend $100 to $300 per day. This includes accommodation, meals, transportation, and activities. Keep in mind that prices tend to be higher on the islands compared to the mainland.
What are the best things to do?
1. Explore the stunning Maya Bay, the famous setting of the movie "The Beach."
2. Snorkel or dive in the crystal-clear waters and discover the vibrant marine life.
3. Hike to the Phi Phi Viewpoint for a breathtaking panoramic view of the islands.
4. Take a longtail boat tour to explore the hidden coves and beaches.
5. Visit the Monkey Beach, where you can observe the island's cheeky monkeys up close.
Where to eat?
1. Anna's Restaurant: A popular spot offering delicious Thai and Western dishes with a beautiful view of the bay.
2. Tonsai Seafood: Located on the beach, this restaurant serves fresh seafood and traditional Thai cuisine.
3. Papaya Restaurant: A vegetarian-friendly option with a wide range of tasty dishes and smoothies.
Where to stay?
1. Phi Phi The Beach Resort: A mid-range resort with private beach access, an infinity pool, and stunning views of the sea.
2. Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort: A luxury option featuring spacious bungalows, an on-site spa, and multiple dining options.
3. Ibiza House Phi Phi: A budget-friendly hostel with a lively atmosphere, pool parties, and various room options.
Off the beaten path:
For an unusual travel experience, consider taking a guided night snorkeling tour. Equipped with underwater torches, you'll have the chance to explore the underwater world after sunset, witnessing nocturnal marine life and the enchanting phenomenon of bioluminescent plankton, which emit a mesmerizing blue glow in the dark waters. This unique activity offers a whole new perspective on the Phi Phi Islands' natural beauty.
Discover the best tours and activities around Phi Phi Islands, Thailand and book your travel experience today with our booking partners
View Phi Phi Islands on a map
Click on the pictures to learn more about the places and to get directions
Discover more travel spots to explore around Phi Phi Islands⛰️ Cliff spots 🌊 Ocean spots 🏖️ Beach spots 🌴 Tropics spots 🌲 Nature reserve spots ⛰️ Hill station spots 🏖️ Bay spots 🏨 Resort spots 🏘️ Town spots 🤿 Underwater spots 🏞️ Waterway spots 🐾 Wildlife spots ❄️ Fjord spots 🏖️ Headland spots 🌴 Jungle spots 🏖️ Lagoon spots ⛰️ Mountain spots 🏞️ National park spots
Here are our top 5 beaches in Phi Phi Islands :
A good way to visit Koh Phi Phi is scuba diving or snorkeling! These islands are indeed one of the top diving spots in the world. No matter what your level of experience is, you are bound to find what you are looking for in these paradise islands. Its lagoons and underwater cliffs are home to exceptional ecosystems, multitudes of colorful fish, turtles or clownfish, and many other sights.
Modalities and prices:
For a 5-hour excursion for beginners, you can expect to pay 100€ per person. Of course, you will be given all the necessary diving equipment, as well as some refreshments, but remember to bring a bottle of water and a hat for the time on the boat.
You can also request the service of a Thai to take you on a pirogue ride around the island. You will be able to practice snorkeling on this occasion! This activity is excellent to admire the shallow ecosystems, the fauna, and flora that compose them, as well as the lagoons. It usually costs 500 baths (15€) for this activity. Don't forget to ask if there are masks and snorkels in the canoe!